Monday, January 27, 2014

The Hunger Games


It took me a shocking amount of time to get around to reading The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. It came out in 2008 while I was entering university. I certainly heard about it, but if I was doing any reading for fun, it was my old favorites, not anything new.

 About the time that the film  adaptation was coming out in 2012, my brother told me that this was a book that I HAD to read. I  then knew that I would enjoy it. This was the brother who had, in the past ten years, basically only read Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings. Like me, sticking with two favorite series. Yet, I had a few books on my reading list which I already had on my shelf. It didn't make sense to buy another book just to have it sit on my shelf.

One day last spring I found it in the book section of Value Village and grabbed it up for $2.99. It then sat on my shelf until November.

I read the first couple of chapters in early November, and I did enjoy the read. Unfortunately, I started reading it on a couple of night shifts and was never really able to get into the "reading zone". I would read a couple of pages and a call bell would go off.  The book didn't make it out of my bag once I got home, and unfortunately November had a record low number of shifts for me, so it wasn't until mid December that I picked it up again.

I decided to start at the beginning, and I am glad that I did. By the end of my four days off I was half way done the book, and had picked up the next one. By the end of my next days off I was part way through the sequel, and by New years I had finished the Trilogy.

I haven't had a set of books hook me like that since Harry Potter.

This book really makes a person think without forcing it. Above all it is a story, but it makes the reader question their own morals and knowledge quite a bit. How far is too far? Where is the reality to line crossed? How much control is too much for the government? How much do we really know about how to world works?  What is the line between self defense, murder, war, assassinations...?  Could YOU really kill someone if put in the kill or be killed situation? Is it better to die than to live with killing something?

The reader doesn't necessarily realize that they are asking these questions, but when one judges the character's choices, and learns about that world, the reader does in fact start to think about these things. I think that these questions are important to think about. I don't really think that many of us will be put in this sort of situation, but when you replace killing with breaking the spirit, ignoring, bullying, or looking down upon, the same message comes across. Is is ok to put down others in order to make yourself look better to your boss? To get someone fired in order to get a raise?

All of this from a young adult novel about teenagers being forced by a corrupt government, to kill each other on tv.

No comments:

Post a Comment