Monday, July 1, 2013

Mercy Train

Mercy Train is an interesting book which follows the stories of three generations of women, each at a pivotal point in their life. One is a young girl leaving everything that she knows, one and elderly woman facing death, and one a young woman facing life after becoming a mother. .

Timeline wise, the eldest of the main characters is a young girl, growing up in poverty on the streets of New York in the early 1900s. This is the character is the one which the title most literally refers.

Her daughter's story takes place when she,the daughter, is an elderly woman coming to the end of her battle with cancer.

The story of the third generation follows a new mother who is given a box of trinkets that had belonged  to her mother. As she goes through them, she tries to piece together the stories of her Mother and Grandmother.

I found this book to be an interesting and easy read. I have found myself enjoying historical fiction more than science fiction now, which surprises me. Looking back I see that I enjoyed reading historical fiction for school, but I always thought of it as school reading, not leisure reading. I don't necessarily think that my interests have changed, just that I take a less direct route the the science fictions section of the bookstore.

No comments:

Post a Comment