Sunday, April 7, 2013

Tuesdays with Morrie


      I knew that I had watched the movie based on Tuesdays with Morrie in class sometime in university, but I wasn't sure that I had actually read the book. I saw it on the shelf and decided that it was one of those books that needed to be read. I realized, shortly after starting, that I had actually read the book before, but it was worth reading again.  It is one of those books that everyone needs to read.

     Tuesdays with Morrie, by Mitch Albom chronicles the story of the author as he reconnects with his old professor, and the two of them work together on what they call Morrie's last thesis. Mitch visits Morrie every Tuesday (for 12 or 13 weeks) as Morrie deteriorates from his ALS. They talk about basically all of the big things in life (family, forgiveness, society, life, death...). Morrie, once a physically vibrant man, continues to shine through his words. Mitch give Morrie purpose, and Morrie gives Mitch perspective.

 The whole book is packed. Nothing is written that doesn't mean something important.


“Be compassionate," Morrie whispered. And take responsibility for each other. If we only learned those lessons, this world would be so much better a place".

“Accept who you are; and revel in it".

 “The truth is, once you learn how to die, you learn how to live".






No comments:

Post a Comment