Monday, December 28, 2015

The Book of Life



     The Book of Life, by Deborah Harkness, is the third, and final installment of the All souls trilogy. These books combine history, science, myth, and magic to create a story with many, MANY, layers. Unlike some books of this type, the author is able weave the story so that all of the pieces make sense even when you don't yet see the whole picture.
     While this series is science fiction/fantasy, it has elements of historical fiction as well. The use of modern and historical science and knowledge was excellent in my mind. The combination genetic research, and ancient alchemy is fascinating, and brings about the real life issues of racial purity and segregation.
      The importance of family lines, yet the acceptance of adoption into vampire families, even in ancient times, is key in this book. I quite enjoyed the fact that once a person was claimed as family, it was simply accepted in vampire families.
      It seems standard for me recently to read trilogies, and to rank the second as my least favourite, the third as the middle, and the first as my favourite. This series is no different, although I think that I simply don't like the fact that there are not any more coming out.

No comments:

Post a Comment