Monday, November 4, 2013

The Kitchen Daughter


The Kitchen Daughter by Jael McHenry struck a bit of a cord with me. I follow many blogs about parents of children with disabilities. I know people on the autism spectrum. It was refreshing to read a book in which the main character had these tendencies, yet disability awareness wasn't the main point of the book.

I enjoyed the way that each chapter began with a recipe which was used as foreshadowing for the chapter. I found it interesting to immerse myself into the character's thoughts and feelings while she cooked. Reading how she was so passionate about her cooking and recipes was refreshing. For me, the aspect of the book around her seeing the spirits of the people who are connected to the recipes, and solving a family mystery took a backseat to the struggles for independence and finding her place in her newly divided family. .

This book was wonderfully realistic showing of the main character's desire to be self sufficient and independent after the death of her parents. Her sister believes that she is incapable of living independently and this is a bone of contention between the two sisters. While I spent the entire book rooting for the main character, but by the end I was not so sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment