Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Magician King

The Magician King by Lev Grossman is the sequel to the Magicians. It takes off where the last book finished. I didn't get quite as "into" this book as I did the Magicians, but I would read it again. Two characters (Quentin and Julia) head on on an adventure, and are then thrown in a very different direction. They have to then find their way back to the magical world. In the end it all makes sense, and they circle back to the original adventure.

The first book is Quentin's experience searching for magic. The timeline is fairly linear. The second book shows his friend Julia's very different search. The reader follows Julia's original journey to learn magic, and a current journey to return to the magical word with Quentin. I had a bit of trouble following the timeline, but this may have been made easier if I had read the book more quickly instead of over the course of a couple of months.

 I hear that the author is working on the third and final book in the series. This was announced over a year ago, and it will probably take a long while to be completed, but I am looking forward to it.




No comments:

Post a Comment